Social Media Strategies for Visibility and Growth

Social Media Marketing is great when you have the right strategy. Without one, you will wonder how other organisations grow their audience without resorting to buying followers – which is not advisable since it will not translate to relevant engagement and leads. The essence of growing visibility is to drive awareness and sales of your product and service.

For every social media platform, there are certain strategies that should be an integral part of your work. We will give you a few tips to help you maximise the use of each platform.

Blog

Blog posts are one way to drive engagements. Having a blog for your business can help you communicate business updates, promotions, helpful resources, announcements and much more with your TA. Visibility for blogs starts from being able to publish relevant content. You can get useful tips here for content creation. Other aspects to consider when maximising the use of blog posts are:

Don’t Plagiarize

Plagiarism is copying someone else’s work and publishing it as yours. It will have a negative effect on your business and is against the law. You can share links to that post, alternatively, request for permission from the owner before you move forward.

Don’t Ignore SEO rules

SEO is Search Engine Optimization. Great SEO is the reason for the first 1-5 results on any Search Engine Result Page (SERP). The average web user will not go past the first five listing on any SERP; research has shown that the first SERP receive almost 95% of web traffic, leaving only 5% for the other pages.

There are a few things you need to put in place when crafting and publishing blog articles that will optimize you for SERP:

1. Linking:

Before your content can rank, it needs links. There are three types involved:

  • Internal Links: Internal links are links to other articles/pages on your website. It is great for user experience and adding authority from other relevant pages on your site.
  • External Links: These are links to other websites. This helps your visitors also get more information and shows where you obtained certain important information. External linking also increases your chances of being linked.
  • Link Building/Earning: Unlike the two types mentioned above, link building and earning has to do with other websites adding your links to their posts. It is even more important than the two above. To get this, you either earn it or build it.

Link building requires you reach out to relevant websites in your industry – that already have great SEO – to take a look at your content and link you. This both improves SEO and also helps you build business relationships. Link earning on the other hand only requires you post relevant content and in some cases, link to some credible sites. Sites like Entrepreneur have earned it.

2. Heading Tags:

Heading tags are used to create headings. There are six levels: H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, and H6 with a top-down hierarchy from H1 to H6. They help structure your content both for the search engines point of view as well as your TA.

3. Keywords:

Keywords are the salt of SEO. Search engines need some kind of text to figure out what your company does and what you are writing about. The content of any article is all about a few key topics or one topic (Keywords) that can be categorized into primary and secondary keywords. Two things matter here – the placement and the frequency.

  • Placement of Keywords: This has to do with where your keywords are on your website or article. It must be placed in:
    • The title.
    • The Meta.
    • The body copy.
      • Start of the article/introduction.
      • Sub-headings – H2 and H3.
      • End of article/conclusion.
  • The frequency of Keywords/keyword density: A mistake here can destroy your other optimization efforts. Keyword density is the number of times your keywords appear in your article vs. how many words you have in that article. While there is no ideal percentage, just don’t overstuff it.

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn

Visibility on these platforms requires you put certain things in place. They include:

The 80/20 Rules:

The first 80/20 rule states that you only directly promote your products or service 20% of the time and the other 80% should be dedicated to how-tos, and any other relevant brand, industry and customer-based topics that your audience will enjoy. The second rule states that the time dedicated to content creation and marketing should be 20% content creation and 80% content marketing.

Refrain from spamming:

Spamming is publishing too many tweets and/or posts in a day. You can take a look at this recommendation for the maximum number and the best time for each platform.

Hashtags:

Use hashtags carefully; do not send a post with unrelated tags or too many tags.

Share and Like Others too:

Increase your chances of being liked and/or shared by doing the same to other people.

Post Regularly:

Don’t ignore your social media platforms for too long without interacting with your audience. You can create a posting schedule.

Influencers:

Influencers are people in your TA and industry that have established credibility; have access to a large audience and can persuade others by virtue of their authenticity and reach. Follow them, be inspired by them, send a message to them, and any other thing you can to build a relationship with them.

Offensive Topics:

Avoid contribution to and creating posts supporting highly controversial and offensive topics, especially one to a large population of your TA.

Tailor Each Post to Platform:

For each content you want to share on every one of your social media pages, do not post exactly the same thing on all of them. Edit it to fit each platform. For each of the platforms, there are different ways to still say the same thing.

The goal of every business owner and social media manager is leads and engagements through social media, however, conscious effort has to be made to set the right short-term and long-term goals. Don’t expect it to happen in one day, it may take weeks, months and for some even years. It takes consistency, time and hard work.

Your organization needs to leverage on social media platforms for visibility and growth. If you think there’s an opportunity to collaborate, get in touch, email hello@thecreativeturf.com